Youth Ambassador Program
The Youth Ambassador program mentors and supports young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds to build knowledge, skills and confidence around the change-making process, providing them with the tools and techniques to create social change. We support them to take part in a range of advocacy and leadership opportunities, including participating in and speaking at youth summits, government roundtables, government inquiries, conferences, to the media, policy consultations – always representing their views and the issues important to young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds.
- 12 – 25 years of age
- From a refugee, migrant or culturally and linguistically diverse background
- Live in NSW
1. Learn skills to advocate for multicultural young people!
Do you want to learn new skills in leadership, advocacy & campaigning, media, public speaking and creating social change? Do you want to guide the work of NSW’s only state-wide multicultural youth specialist organisation?
A taste of some of the training you’ll get:
- Advocacy and campaign strategy, approaches and tools
- Storytelling for influence
- Media engagement and interview skills
- Human centred design for social change
- Creating a pitch and getting your message across to people in power
- Organising your community
- Running a social change event
2. Be part of a collaborative & creative project with like-minded people!
Do you want to take action on issues affecting young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds?
We’ve got the perfect project for you. As an MYA, you will work together to develop workshops for newly arrived refugee and migrant young people to help them settle into life in Australia. Between July – September 2017, the MYAs will meet every 6 weeks to create a series of fun, interactive and memorable workshops. These workshops will be created by you as a young person, for other young people. First workshop date : Saturday 1st July, 2017. Put it in your diary!
3. Plan a conference!
You will have the opportunity to plan a youth conference at the end of your 18 month leadership journey. Drive all aspects of the conference – the theme, speakers, workshops! You could host a panel, create a video, launch a campaign…as the driving force behind the youth conference, your network of MYAs will play a huge role in creating social change and advocating on important issues to people in power.
What is the role of MYAN NSW Youth Ambassadors?
- Provide input to the work of MYAN NSW;
- Provide an opportunity for MYAN NSW to consult directly with young people and ensure that young people’s voices are reflected in the work of MYAN NSW;
- Provide a mechanism to strengthen the leadership and advocacy skills of multicultural young people;
- Provide opportunities for young people to influence the agenda on multicultural youth issues at a state and federal level;
- Be the youth voice of MYAN NSW.
For more information or to be part of the program contact Hannah Lai.