MYAN NSW hosts a range of activities aimed at supporting the youth and multicultural sectors to work more effectively with young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds. These include quarterly networking meetings in Western Sydney, Sector Development Forums and Training and Professional Development.
National Youth Settlement Framework Training
MYAN NSW regularly hosts training on the National Youth Settlement Framework (NYSF). The Framework is the first of its kind in Australia and this is an exciting opportunity to learn more about how you can apply it in your organisation or role.
Australia’s first evidence-based framework supporting good practice in youth settlement. A conceptual and practical resource, the NYSF is designed to enable services to respond more effectively to the needs of young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds and support their active participation in Australian society.
1 day of interactive professional development, exploring:
- How practitioners and policy-makers can incorporate the NYSF into their work, including using the NYSF Assessment Tools
- Factors contributing to good settlement outcomes for young people
- Good practice in facilitating active citizenship
All participants will receive copies of the NYSF, including additional resources and tools. This training is linked to a range of competencies in the VET sector Training Packages for Community Services and Health.
Training for your Organisation
MYAN NSW offers training to organisations that work with young people from multicultural backgrounds to better understand their needs and issues. We provide multi-agency training every few months, as well as offering in-house training on a fee-for-service basis. This includes workshops on:
- Understanding and Implementing the National Youth Settlement Framework
- Working with Young People from Multicultural Backgrounds
- Understanding Youth Work for Multicultural & Settlement Workers
- Working with CALD & Refugee Young People in Mental Health
- Working with CALD & Refugee Young People in Child & Family Welfare Settings
We hold sector development forums on a range of issues.
Our most recent forums have included:
- Engaging Young People from Multiculutural Backgrounds through Sport – this was held with over 45 people from across NSW, in partnership with the GWS Giants at the Learning Life Centre at Olympic Park in April 2014.
- Employment and Multicultural Young People – this was run in partnership with Blacktown City Council in Blacktown, with over 55 people attending in November 2013.
To read and download the reports from our recent forums, go to the Resources page.
MYAN NSW Network Meetings
MYAN NSW holds quarterly networking meetings in Western Sydney. If you don’t receive our email updates and would like to find out about future meetings, please email Alex Long.
Refugee Youth Peer Mentoring Participatory Design Project
In 2017, MYAN NSW led the Refugee Youth Peer Mentoring Participatory Design project. The purpose of the project was to investigate, in partnership with young people, how peer mentoring could be used to facilitate youth settlement and to co-design a peer mentoring program for young people from refugee and refugee-like backgrounds. Download the final report.